Coaching Teenage Girls In Sport
Thursday 10th November, 7pm- 10pm VIA ZOOM
Register on Eventbrite
Following the release of the Adolescent Girls Get Active Report, Sport Ireland are happy to announce that it will soon launch a Coaching Teenage Girls in Sport Workshop, designed specifically to support coaches of girls aged 12-17 years of age.
Developed by Sport Ireland Coaching in conjunction with the Federation of Irish Sport, the School of Health & Human Performance Dublin City University and Lifes2Good Foundation, the workshop was developed to enable coaches to create a positive experience of sport and physical activity for girls in their formative years and provide an environment where girls and young women can develop holistically.
A strong emphasis is placed throughout the workshop on supporting coaches to identify and engage in effective coaching practice reflecting the importance of the coach-athlete relationship, and specifically the role of the coach in a young girl’s development. This involves employing a positive and athlete-centred coaching framework, to support the development of the autonomy, capabilities, and sense of belonging that underpin lifelong engagement in sport and physical activity.
The workshop is developed to enable coaches to create a positive coaching experience of sport and physical activity for girls aged 12-17years. Creating an environment where girls and young women can develop holistically.
Key Learning Outcomes
On completion of the workshop, and the pre and post workshop activities, coaches will be able to:
- Identify the key reasons why girls engage in physical activity and sport and why they drop out.
- Gain an understanding of the relationship between physical activity participation and mental health for adolescent girls.
- Understand the importance of communication (coach to player and player to player) in retaining girls in sport
- Raise awareness around the effects maturation and puberty can have on females.
- Identify the role of actual competence, perceived competence and confidence for engaging girls in sport and physical activity.
- Examine coaching practices and communication that foster autonomy, confidence, and belonging in girls across team and individual sports.
- Design environments that cater for relationships, connectedness and competition
On completion of the workshop, and the pre and post workshop activities, coaches will receive a certificate of attendance
Participants must be 18 Years of age and above